top of page
  • Omni Finance

Before you move

The ultimate moving home checklist

ONCE YOU HAVE found somewhere new to live, it’s important to notify any relevant organisations that may need to be aware of your change of address. This is especially important when it comes to official matters such as registering with a local doctor or dentist, or notifying the DVLA of your new address if you have a driving licence.

You should also make sure that any utility providers and service suppliers (e.g. broadband providers) are informed so that your bills can be sent to the correct address.

If you are registered for Council Tax, there will be specific requirements in place for notifying the local council about your move and updating any related accounts accordingly. It is usually necessary to provide evidence that you have moved, such as a tenancy agreement or proof of address, in order to ensure the smooth transition of any services.

It’s also important to remember that you may need to update other organisations and contacts (e.g. your bank) with your new address as soon as possible; this helps to avoid any delays or complications in processing future transactions.

Consider whether any communication preferences need to be updated too – for example, if you prefer receiving post rather than emails or texts. By taking care of all these different matters before, during and after moving home, you can help ensure that everything runs smoothly from start to finish!



Employer – Your employer needs to know of a change of address so they can update your contact details, but more importantly they need to know for your payroll.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) – One of the most important places that needs to know when you change address is Inland Revenue. They’ll need to know for your taxes and you can find out how to update this information on

National Insurance – Your National Insurance (NI) number is frequently used by the government to help identify you and is required by the DVLA, HMRC and your employer. That means it’s extremely important to update your National Insurance information. You can find the phone number and opening times online, but you’ll need your NI number ready to fully change your information.


Council Tax – To update your Council Tax address, you’ll need to visit the relevant gov. uk site for your move. Each site has their own form for changing your address.

Electoral Roll – When you change address, you’ll need to re-register on the Electoral Roll for your new area with your updated details. This can be done by visiting https:// Department for Work and Pensions – If you’re receiving money from the government then you’ll need to change your address information with the Department for Work and Pensions as well. This can be done over the phone by calling the relevant helpline.

“Most insurers will need to know when you move to a new home because they take your postcode into account when they work out your premium and cost of cover.”


When you’re moving longer distances, you’ll want to remember to cancel subscriptions to local gyms or clubs that you won’t be going to anymore. You can either do that over the phone or when you visit them for the last time before your move. The other thing you’ll want to do is contact any postal subscriptions you have and let them know when you’ll be moving to your new address so they can start sending things to your new home.


Cable/Satellite – You should let them know of your change of address for billing purposes and so they can update your contact information. It’s also worth checking whether your new home will require a new satellite dish or cable to be installed before you update this information.

Telephone – For landlines, you’ll need to inform the provider that you are changing address as you’ll receive a new phone number for the home that you move to – this can normally be done at the same time as your broadband. For your mobile you will need to update your address so that they can send the bill to the correct location and you can do that by contacting your provider over the phone or visiting one of their stores.

Broadband – You may also want to cancel your broadband subscription as you will most likely be able to get a better deal when you move to your new home and you will have to call them to move your deal to the new property regardless.

TV Licence – Your TV licence won’t be valid when you move to a new property so you will have to change this information on the TV Licensing website. This can be done up to three months in advance of your move.


Update your driving licence – Your driver’s licence will need to be updated with your new address as soon as possible. This can be done on the DVLA website for free and they should send you an updated licence (which normally arrives in around two to four weeks).

Vehicle Breakdown Cover – You can change your information for breakdown coverage on your provider’s website. This is particularly important for providers who charge different rates based on area and for knowing where they may need to take you to in the event of a breakdown.

Car Insurance – You’ll need to inform your car insurance provider about your change of address too. This is for both your insurance payments and your contact information in case of an accident. Unfortunately, there may be a change in your payment rate depending on where you live so you may see your prices go up (or down) when you change address. You can change your information either online if you’ve registered your account or over the phone if you haven’t.

V5C Vehicle Log Book – Remember to update your V5C for your vehicle tax. Forgetting to update this information may result in a fine, so it’s not something you’d want to forget about. You can do this either by post or online.


Schools – If you have children you should let their schools know that you are going to be moving house so they can update your contact information. This is also a good idea because moving home can be stressful for your children so it’s important to keep their school up to date.

University – Private schools and universities will also need to know your address so that they can send over the tuition fees for each semester or year, so it’s doubly important to provide them with your new address if you’re going to continue using them after the move.


When you have a change of address, you may also have to change doctors. This means that your doctor will have to forward your medical information to your new doctor (this also happens with dentists, opticians and your pet’s information with vets). If you have a check-up before you move, it’s worth getting their contact information and letting them know when you’ll be moving. You can then pass your new doctor’s information to your old doctor (or vice versa).


Most insurers will need to know when you move to a new home because they take your postcode into account when they work out your premium and cost of cover. If you live in an area that is considered slightly more ‘risky’ then your insurance is likely to increase (likewise, if you move to a less ‘risky’ area it will go down). However, some insurance policies aren’t reliant on where you live and will only need your new address so they can update your contact information and to change where they send your bills. To inform your insurers of a change of address, you’ll need to either visit each of their websites or call them all up and arrange a change of address update. Insurance policies may include: health insurance; home/contents insurance; life and critical illness insurance; travel Insurance; and pet Insurance.


If you hire anyone to help maintain your property, you should cancel their services before you move to your new address. If you’re moving to somewhere that’s not too far away, you might be able to hire them to help at your new property – just don’t forget to tell them your new address. It’s also worth updating your contact address with anyone else that might need to send you something through the post, such as accountants, solicitors, gardener, window cleaner. Normally, post from these people will be important and, potentially, private, so you won’t want letters to become lost in the post after you move to your new home.


Banks or Building societies – You should let your bank or building society know about your change of address as close to your move date as possible. Your place of residence is an important factor for proving your identity and forgetting to update this information might put you at risk of identity theft.

Premium Bonds – Don’t forget to update your address for any Premium Bonds that you’ve invested in, otherwise you won’t be able to receive any potential winnings. You can do this on their website if you’re registered or by phone if you’re not.

Pension – If you have a personal private pension plan, you can update your pension information by contacting your provider. If you receive a State Pension, visit https://

Loan companies – If you have taken out any loans then you’ll need to let them know about your change of address and the date that you’ll be moving.

Credit card/ Debit card companies – While you’re changing your address with your bank, you may also want to get your address changed with your credit/debit card providers.

Store Cards – It’s also a good idea to change your address for any cards you hold with specific stores as they will use that order for deliveries.


Electricity – It typically takes up to 48 hours for your energy provider to update your information, so make sure you do this well in advance of your move. Depending on the type of account you have, you may be charged for ending early. If this is the case you should check to see if they’ll allow you to move the deal to your new property.

Gas – Make sure your provider knows what date you’re moving and then take a reading of your gas and electricity on the day you leave to send to them. This will stop you from being charged for gas and electricity that you haven’t used. This may also be a good time to compare providers as you may be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

Water – This is similar to your gas and electricity in that you should let your water provider know that you’re going to be moving and won’t be using water beyond a certain date.

SETTLING INTO YOUR NEW HOME There’s not always time to change your mailing address for everything when you move, so you can set up a postal redirect to give you a little extra time. This means that any post sent to you at your old address will be redirected and delivered to your new address and you can apply for it up to three months before the date of your move (although it does take ten days to implement). The redirect is only temporary so you can’t rely on it forever and it’s via Royal Mail so you will still need to contact everyone who sends you post to update them. You can set up a redirect with Royal Mail on their website. Once all the relevant parties have been updated with your new details, you can start settling into your new home with peace of mind!

>> READY TO FIND THE RIGHT MORTGAGE TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP ONTO THE PROPERTY LADDER? << Excited about starting the next big chapter in your life? We’ll help you find the right mortgage to take the next step onto the property ladder. To make an informed decision or to discuss your situation, contact Omni Finance – telephone 01424 236903 – email


Articles copyright protected Goldmine Media 2023

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page